The Hunger Games  - Suzanne  Collins

Year Published: 2008
Number of Pages: 374 pages
Date Read: 12/19/2010
Series: The Hunger Games #1

Imagine living in a post- apocalyptic world where keeping your life is your main priority in life.  Well, I got that experience when I read this book called “The Hunger Games” and believe me this book took me on one dark and intense ride.  “The Hunger Games” is an intense book by Suzanne Collins which details how a sixteen-year-old girl named Katniss Everdeen is thrown into the dreaded Hunger Games when she tries to save her sister, Prim from entering it.  “The Hunger Games” may be too violent and intense for some readers to handle, but it is truly one of the most engaging books ever written!

In the ruins of North America, there is a nation called Panem where it is ruled by the Capitol, which is full of cruel and ruthless people ruling the city.  Every year, the Capitol would send in a boy and a girl from each district to compete in the dreaded Hunger Games, where competitors fight to the death to survive.  When sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen realizes that her sister Prim is about to compete in the Hunger Games, she decides to take her sister’s place to save her life and now she is competing in the Hunger Games where she has to use all of her wits and strength to survive!

Whew!  I am definitely out of breath after I read this book!  When I first heard about this book, I was trying to figure out what all the hype was all about on this book, but now I know!  Suzanne Collins has certainly done an awesome job at writing this book that is full of intensity and suspense!  What I loved the most about this book was how Suzanne Collins had perfectly built up the pace of the action in this book so that the readers do not have to feel like they do not know the characters that well since it might cause the plot of the story to move quickly.  I will admit that when I first read this book, it started out really slow, but as soon as the Hunger Games begins, the action quickly picks up and I found myself being mesmerized by Suzanne Collins’ intensive writing and exciting plot that I could not put the book down!  I also loved the characters in this book, especially Katniss Everdeen herself!  Katniss is the pure strong heroine in this book as she struggles to survive in the Hunger Games and I loved the way that Katniss uses her knowledge of the forest and her wit to help her get through the Hunger Games.  I also admired Katniss’ courage in this book as she was able to handle any obstacle that came at her and I loved the relationship between her and Peeta.  Katniss' and Peeta's relationship with each other is not your average romantic couple since they are too busy trying to survive in the Hunger Games, but there are some cute moments between the two of them.  Another thing I loved about this book was how the idea of “The Hunger Games” was thought up as I never would have thought that I would read a book that takes place in a post – apocalyptic world or in this case, after the destruction of North America and that idea easily intrigues me since you wonder to yourself about how can you create another civilization after the destruction of another civilization.  I also think that this book reminded me of the gladiator tournaments that were held during Ancient Rome and even some of the characters’ names in this book seem to reflect the Roman names.

There are many gory and violent scenes in this book, which includes many people dying in horrific ways.  So, anyone who does not like gore or violence might feel a bit squeamish when reading this book.  Also, the whole theme about how the Capitol toys with innocent people’s lives and views it as a sport is deeply disturbing.

Overall, “The Hunger Games” is a truly worthy book to read over and over again and I will definitely be checking out the next two books in this fantastic series!

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog